Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pura Vida! Part 1

So here's a short replay of my awesome week at the Vista Guapa Surf Camp in Jaco, Costa Rica.

Monday 1.28.08
My day started off at 5:45 am (thanks momma for the ride to the airport) . I was headed to Ft Lauderdale, Florida. You may think this is the wrong direction for someone that is headed south to Central America...you would be correct. But given the fact that I only paid $28 bucks to get down there...I had no problem with American Airlines doubling my travel time. :) The layover ended up being 3 hours. No problem I thought, I'll just take my time getting to my next gate. I landed at F7. My Flight to San Jose, CR will leave from ...F7. Figures lol...if i had 28 mins to make my connection it would have been W74. Well my options were to sit there or walk back out through security...so i sat at F7. (Exciting stuff so far right? I promise it will get better ;)
On to the plane and lucky me i have the row to myself (love that!) and therefore slept the rest of the flight. :)

Landed in San Jose about 5 and hung out til i found someone with a sign with my name on it. Found said guy and he told me that the van would be here in 10 mins. Cool. Some guys who were on a break were asking where i was from and where i was headed. I told them Jaco and they told me that in Jaco on Saturday a huge Reggaeton concert would be taking place starring Daddy Yankee. Very cool i thought . (more about that later)...Anyways, the van pulled up and Edwin, the driver, (and my new amigo) and I were on our way!
Edwin is awesome! I basically had a 2 hour Spanish lesson on the way to the camp through the winding roads...it's good that I had a distraction being that I get car sick pretty darn easy. lol By the time I arrived at camp it was already dark and I had a bout 15 mins to get ready for dinner. I made it back down the hill and met the rest of the campers. Joe from Seattle, Jacki & Terry from San Diego, Tom & Laurie from Syracuse, and Rebecca, from ?. I also saw a familiar face, Alberto, one of the surf instructors that I had met last year.

We ended up at Rioasis restaurant. I had pizza and strawberry margaritas. (yum) Well this night was no ordinary night. It was Laurie's 50th birthday so of course there was singing and cake to be had! :)
Definitely a fun way to start off my stay. Back to Vista Guapa. But the "party" didn't stop there. We ended up back on Tom & Laurie's porch with beverages and music. (I'm so glad i brought my ipod speakers...that light up lol...yes I'm a dork...but it really is cool). So the music was going and the lights were pulsing and the stars were absolutely amazing! Good times. And of course we had to play Name that Tune with the ipod. Man i was very some of these people were quite impressive...especially when it came to 80's Gold. ;) The night winded down with Lionel Richie's All Night Long and I even got a dance out of Edwin. Good first night...headed to bed slightly early...5:45 am is going to come pretty early...

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I want to hear more... now! What a fun trip. Tell Mama I said "hi"!!!