Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Maybe I'm Selfish, but I like to feel Good.

Monday

It's true about what they say about helping others. It makes you feel good...Well at least this has my experience.

Monday night I volunteered at Crossroads Community Services in Downtown Dallas. Here's basically what this is:
  • Crossroads Community Services is the mission outreach of First United Methodist Church. (my church)
  • Crossroads serves a variety of people with different needs, but their focus is on the working poor and homeless prevention.
  • The mission of CCS is to enrich the lives of our neighbors-in-need by compassionately providing ongoing tangible support and the strategic skills necessary to enjoy sustained economic success
Anyways, my job for the night was to help with intake. Which means that I would be helping the families get into the system. (getting all their info, birth certificates, proof of employment, residence, etc.) A lot of the families that come to Crossroads speak little or no English. I (try) to speak a little Spanish (I am by no means fluent...sorry...HALF of my family...I'm so embarrassed. lol) so I thought I could be most helpful in this position.

I got off to a pretty rough start with the first family, but by the end of the night, I was ready to help more families. In all we helped 15 families get food and clothes. (They are eligible to come once a month for food, and once every 2 months for clothing.) As of now they are only set up to being open one night a month (for those who can't get to the center during the day). Hopefully, this will continue to be a success and might have the potential of being open one night a week. :)

It was good.

Here's the link if you'd like to find out more:

http://www.ccsdallas.org/

OR! If you'd like to donate clothes (in huge need of men's jeans, coats, sweaters, etc) shoes, toiletries or anything else let me know and I will either point you in the right direction or come to you myself to get the stuff. If that's not you're thing, you can even make an online donation by clicking here :)

much love

No comments: