Monday, September 22, 2008

"Ever since I was a young boy...

...I played the silver ball."

This is how my favorite scene of The Who's Tommy Musical begins. Back in 1993 (when it came to Broadway) I officially became TOMMY obsessed. I wanted to know everything about it. I had the original cast recording (on tape), rented the 1975 movie repeatedly (I was 12 and didn't really own anything thing other than Disney VHSs at the time), had the book, saw the tour when it made it's way to Dallas a year later, had a hat (momma wouldn't let me buy the shirt as it said "touch me" on it lol) etc...OH! I even remember when the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas had the Tommy pinball machine in the restaurant...it played Pinball Wizard and everything. I wanted THAT machine like you couldn't believe.

I had always loved musicals but I knew after the first time I saw it that my heart lied with the Rock-Opera.

Friday I went to the Dallas Theatre Center and saw their production of it and fell in love with it all over again. I found myself singing along to every word. (which was totally fine since it was super rockin' loud and the audience was encouraged to be loud as well) It was AMAZING! Of course the score is absolutely brill ant...but the cast they chose here in Dallas was phenomenal! I have seen tons of shows in this space and even preformed on it back in the day when I went to theatre camp there...but I have never seen the space look as cool it was Friday night. Wow! Is basically all you can say when the floor fills with water and then rain falls from the "sky" as well. Another thing that rally made the production was the band they had...they didn't just play, they were a huge part of the show. Oso Closo (the band) is from Denton and they ROCKED...hard! I don't know if you can tell, but I enjoyed it immensely...if you're in the Dallas area you show most definitely see it before it closes on the 28th...and I'll totally join you if you'd like. ;)


Saturday was another most beautiful day in the neighborhood. :) I am a member of First United Methodist Church in Downtown Dallas, and have been for something like 16 years...but I've been pretty M.I.A. for the last year or so (mostly due to work conflicts, but also from plain laziness...shame on me). Anyways, I got an email on Friday morning saying that they needed volunteers to help out at the Crossroads Community Services Center making food packages/bags for the people they serve in the area. I jumped at the chance to help out and possibly meet some new people...that also like to help out others. There was about 22 of us that showed up from FUMC's UrbanLife group. (I guess I can say I'm a part of this now) And for about 2 and half hours we worked hard. (see shelves in background) I know what we did wasn't much...but I'm definitely looking forward to doing much more.

Sunday morning I was inspired to head back to church (shocked many a face there for sure). I was glad I did, as they were talking about how important music is to our Church and how much it adds. (don't know if you could tell but I kinda dig music lol)

Afterwards, momma and I met for lunch and did a bit of shopping (I should never do this, as I will mostly likely buy things lol ). Lovely afternoon for sure.

That night I headed next door to the House of Blues and saw a group who's songs just plain make me happy. Hanson. Yeah you read right. About 11 years ago they came out with MMMBop and have continued to make music ever since. I liked them way back then, and I (and the rest of the packed floor of the HOB) still do. They are truly great musicians on stage and also pretty great people off stage through a ton of charity work they do. (i.e. buying shoes for kids in Africa) Go ahead and laugh for liking them, I've gotten used to it lol...and yes at 10:45 they played MMMBop and the crowd went wild!


That was about it this weekend...

Oh! Wait!... how 'bout them COWBOYS!

much love

1 comment:

Kathryn Ransdell said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Love that it ended with Hanson. Thanks for helping on Saturday and hope to see you more in the future!