Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Movie Everyone in America needs to see ...so it's kind of a rant...and the rest of the weekend's happenings.

This weekend started out pretty good. Momma and I went to see 21. This is the movie about the MIT students that take on Las Vegas by counting cards and winning thousands of dollars back in the early 90s. This was truly entertaining and I promise you will wanna book a flight to Vegas Baby! immediately! ...okay maybe you won't all be affected the same way...but I sure was...but then again, Vegas is my favorite city in the U.S. :)


Photobucket

The second movie I saw this weekend was Stop Loss. It tells the story a group of soldiers that return home from their tour of Iraq, with hopes of getting out soon, when they are Stop Loss-ed and are forced to stay in the army and head back to Iraq for another tour. The movie also shows how the war has affected these soldiers and everyone around them.
The movie completely ripped my heart out. Maybe I'm sensitive to this, being that my brother-in-law Mykey has already spent one year of his life serving or country in Iraq, and is now training and preparing to return to Iraq this coming July. I don't think that everyone here in America is understanding what this war is doing to these men and women. Our brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, sons daughters, and friends are coming home changed and not necessarily in a good way...I'm going to venture out and say that 99% of the time that this is a change in the worst possible way. If our friends and family are lucky enough to not be harmed physically, the stuff they go through and witness definitely harms them mentally. I have witnessed this first hand and I feel for everyone that has. I am proud to be an American but I am so sick of our young people being sent over there to fight in something I think we have no business being involved in. Maybe I'm completely wrong and ignorant, but being that it was recently reported that we've now lost over 4,000 American lives, how many more are we willing to lose? How many young veterans are going to break down out of the blue as they are forced to re-live over and over what they've witnessed or had to do or were ordered to do in their heads, day after day ? I just don't get it.
Obviously I was moved by this movie. It is extremely harsh...but somehow I think if everyone in America sees this movie...the "people in charge" might just think twice about the decisions they make. Maybe not. I HATE war with every part of my being...and as an American...I am thankful that I have the right to say this...alright, down off my soap box.

Stop Loss

I was completely bummed after the movie. I needed something to lighten the mood. Headed over to the House of Blues and saw this guy named Daniel Tosh. He happens to be a fellow UCF alum and I think he is absolutely hilarious. He has definitely not for everyone and does not discriminate on who he offends. lol I couldn't help but laugh and smile after seeing his act. We need to laugh.

Daniel Tosh

After the show, I headed out with my friend Tony in search of good times, good music, and interesting people...we eventually found it...and as we made it past last call...I headed home. FC Dallas this afternoon...opening day...ended in a tie...well at least we didn't loose. :)

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I totally agree about "21"... that is such a great movie. I could easily see it again.