Friday, March 6, 2009

I Gave It My Best Shot!

So Wednesday night was kind of RIDICULOUS!!! ...in a good way. :)

As you may know (because I bugged you constantly about it) I was one of the five finalists for the Mavericks/Coca Cola/House of Blues Rock the House contest. Thanks to your votes...I won the opportunity to sing at the Dallas Mavericks vs San Antonio Spurs Game on March 4th at the American Airlines Center.

*Interesting side note...it was Noche Latina, and therefore the teams were wearing jerseys that said Los Mavs y Los Spurs.


Anyways, roughly 24 hours before the game I was notified that I would be singing Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot. I've never sang this song...especially not in front of 21 THOUSAND people.

I had a brief rehearsal in my truck in the parking lot of Dave & Busters (that's where were had planned to have dinner) that consisted of my ipod, Momma and cousin Kellie...I learned the words and was ready to go. The next 24 hours of anticipation was kinda brutal. I wasn't really nervous just really excited. Yeah this sounds kinda silly and crazy...but you have to know that I grew up performing and have missed it a ton...so when i was given this opportunity I had to go for it. Carpe Diem!!!

Instead of my normal routine of trying to hacky sack it up with the guys after dinner...I was on the dock at the AAC, earphones in ears, playing the track over and over and over again. I work with AMAZING people and the amount of positivity, "break a leg," and "knock em dead," etc. wishes I heard made me feel super special. Thanks to all of you for that.

Before the game started I met my Momma and sister, Brenda, on the concourse for one last run through...yeah I have very little shame...or fear for that matter. :)

I'm quite certain that my heart rate was off the charts by the time tipoff came around. Oh yeah, did I mention I happened to also be working the game that night. I was running replays for the in-arena show. I would be singing at the end of the 1st quarter. There was approximately 3 minutes left on the clock so I RAN (I don't run) to the other side of the court and had about a minute to spare before it was "show time". The next 3 minutes were a complete blur.

This is what I know:
I know I got out on the court and saw some of my favorite familar faces.
I know there was a sea of Mavs and Spurs fans in front of me.
I know Chris Arnold introduced us both.
I know the other contestant sang.
I know I was handed the mic and at THAT moment there was this rush/high/something that went through my being.

I'm pretty sure I sang and I felt pretty good, great about it. :)

The crowd was deciding factor of who won. But you can judge for yourself if you'd like...



I did not win.

But that wasn't really the point of it all. I just wanted to get out there and "Rock it!" Mission Accomplished. (to me anyway...and as we know this is MY blog and really MY opinion is all that matters) ;)

The bit was over and off I RAN (I repeat, I don't run) back to the replay room, and with an awesome round of applause from my co-workers...we were back to work. The final score was Los Mavs 107 Los Spurs 102. Awesome game and most needed win!

It was a noche to remember.



*here is the entire contest if you're interested:




much love

4 comments:

Tony C. said...

Well done! That's a big game to get in front of the crowd. I don't think I would have the guts. :)

Kristi said...

You rocked it, Girl! I'm impressed. Great job!!!

Unknown said...

Kudos Caroleena !
I'd have prolly totally froze up !

Anonymous said...

That's pretty awesome, I have to say. :)