Thursday, September 18, 2008

I felt OLD...this Rarely happens.

Last night I had the pleasure of having dinner with my youngest sister, Brenda (17), my 2nd youngest sister, Lisa and her husband Eric (both 20). Everything was cool and we were goofing off by my truck as we were leaving...and then it happened. There was a moment in the conversation where I felt super old. LOL We had been talking about stealing things. (which we did not) and i used the word "gank." And my sisters totally just stared at me in confusion like I was crazy. "What's that mean?" And I proceeded to tell them that back in the day that's the slang i would use for to steal And Brenda was like, "oh you mean "jack."" "Exactly," I replied. And we said our good-byes.

Then last night I questioned myself. And wondered if I had made this word up. But this morning I went to urbandictionary.com and EUREKA! There it was...the definition of GANK:

1. gank
To steal or take something that does not belong to you.
"i didn't have money so i ganked it"


So I'm not crazy...maybe slightly old-er...and ok a little crazy but that's besides the point.

I even got back up confirmation from a friend of mine (thanks Jordan). This might be a Southern thing though as another friend (same age and ethnicity as Jordan) had also never heard of it. (thanks anyways Todd) :)

So I ask you...are there any words that YOU use/once used that Youngin's (as I like to call them) today might look at you strange for?

much love...as I go gank a piece of candy from the break room ;)

No comments: